Moving Tips - 8 Weeks Before
- Create a "move file" to keep track of estimates, receipts and other important information.
- Check with the IRS for possible tax deductions – including moving expenses.
- Budget for moving expenses and start collecting estimates.
- Start researching your new community. The Internet is a great resource for finding online community guides and newspapers.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce to request their new resident packet.
- Draw out a floor plan of your new home and start deciding which function each room will serve.
- Begin planning how to move into your new home.
- Begin researching auto shipping companies.
Moving Tips - 7 Weeks Before
- Start compiling medical and dental records - including prescriptions and shot records.
- Ask your doctors if they can refer you to a care provider in your new city.
- Arrange to have school records transferred to your children's new school district and/or daycare.
- Get copies of any legal and financial records you need.
- Arrange for veterinarian records to be transferred.
- Call your insurance agent to see what changes to expect in your policies for changing states.
- Ask if moving is covered and arrange for insurance for your new home.
- Contact health clubs or other organizations you have joined. Ask how to move, sell, or end your membership.
Moving Tips - 6 Weeks Before
- Make a list of things that are valuable or difficult to replace. Plan on shipping these by certified mail or carrying them with you.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses to notify of your move.
- Work your way through each room taking inventory and deciding what to donate or throw away.
- Start planning a yard sale or contact your local charities.
- Subscribe to the newspaper in your new hometown to start learning about events and the local culture.
- Begin using things that can't be moved, such as frozen foods, bleach and aerosol cleaners.
Moving Tips - 5 Weeks Before
- Begin collecting boxes and other packing supplies.
- Begin packing items you don't use often.
- Also start separating and disposing of the items you've designated for a yard sale, donation or the junk yard.
- If you donate, be sure to get a receipt for income tax purposes.
- Start pinpointing a "move date".
- Plan ahead for parking the moving truck or trailer.
- Plan for short-term or long-term storage at destination if needed.
Moving Tips - 4 Weeks Before
- File a change of address with the Postal Service.
- If you are unsure of your new address, ask the postal service to hold your mail at their office in your new city.
- Schedule disconnection of all utility services at your old home, and connection of them at your new one.
- Be sure to disconnect the day after you leave and connect the day before you arrive.
- If you have "last month" deposits with services, such as the water or gas company, request your refund.
- Make travel arrangements for your pets. Don’t forget to include necessary medical and immunization records.
- Advertise and host your garage sale.
- Call your newspaper courier and set a date to cancel your subscription
Moving Tips - 3 Weeks Before
- Make sure all library books have been returned and all dry cleaning or items out for repair have been picked up.
- Also retrieve any items out on loan.
- Decide if you will keep your plants or give them away.
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives and poisons.
- Have your automobile(s) serviced.
- Prepare auto registration to be transferred.
- If you are moving into or out of an apartment, arrange to use the elevator on your move day.
Moving Tips - 2 Weeks Before
- Contact your bank and/or credit union to transfer or close accounts.
- Clear out safety deposit boxes. Pick up traveler's checks or cash for "on the road" expenses.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Plan meals for the last week of the move to help empty the refrigerator and avoid using appliances that will already be packed.
- Assemble a folder of important information about the house for the new owner of your home.
Moving Tips - 1 Week Before
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
- Finish packing and prepare an "essentials" box.
- Designate several moving boxes and items as "last load" items. Pack your suitcases and valuables separately.
- Drain water hoses and waterbed.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day. Prepare all appliances for loading.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications you will need for the next couple of weeks.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day.
Moving Day Tips
- Load your goods in a pre-designated order, saving "last load" items for the rear of your shipment.
- This might include your vacuum cleaner or bed sheets.
- Check every room, closet and cabinet one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- Take note of utility meter readings.
- Leave a note with your new address in the house so that future residents can forward any stray mail.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your plans and "whereabouts" in case of an emergency or unforeseen event.
- Take this time to look things over and to ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check appliances and systems to ensure all are working properly, and arrange for repairs if necessary.
- Verify that your mail is being delivered to your new address and pick up any mail being held.
- Consider drawing out your new floor plan and decide where you want furniture and appliances placed.
- Keep all receipts and documentation in your move file and store the file in a safe place.
- You'll be glad to have everything in one place at tax time.
- Get a new driver's license and new tags for your automobile.
- Register to vote.
- Contact the local paper for a new subscription.